[Call for Testing] Ubuntu GNOME Needs You!

Martin Evans zoialord6 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 19:44:57 UTC 2013

On 02/08/13 19:41, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We are not too far away from Beta 1 Release [1] for Saucy and I still
> see no much of activities when it comes to testing. There is one
> simple fact that we all need to be aware of. Without TESTERS, there is
> no System or at least, everything will remain the same and no
> improvement, nothing new, etc.
>
> Ubuntu GNOME needs you. The more testing we do, the better, that is
> for sure, no doubt about it.
>
> New to Ubuntu GNOME?
> New to GNOME?
> New to Testing?
> Don't know where to start from?
> Have never done this before?
> You think you can't help at all?
> You are interested by shy?
>
> Worry Not. If you are one of those, be sure you are the best candidate
> for testing. The more you break the system, the better. That is why we
> call it testing and it is FUN, trust me.
>
> Please, Keep Calm and Test Ubuntu GNOME :)
>
> For more information, please see this [2] link. If you have any
> question, I'm here for you!
>
> As always, thank you for choosing, using, and most importantly, for
> TESTING Ubuntu GNOME :D
>

> Thank you!
>
> [1] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SaucySalamander/ReleaseSchedule
>
> [2] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Testing
>
> --
> *Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
> *Best Regards,
> amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> - StartUbuntu Project
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu> -
> Linux Brainstorming
> <https://www.facebook.com/groups/352004991569676/> - Mubuntu
> <http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/07/draft-mubuntu-simple-minimal-system.html>
>
> Ubuntu GNOME <http://ubuntugnome.org/> - Xubuntu
> <http://xubuntu.org/> - Peppermint <http://peppermintos.com/about/>

Tbh I've been running it the last few days trying different installs, at
the moment the only "bug" i see (which isn't really a bug, more erm.. an
annoyance) is on the install (from the "install Ubuntu gnome"), you have
no wallpaper, a brown unsightly top bar and crappy gnome icons, on the
"Try Gnome" you have no wallpaper some icons are missing (that comes
down to using the gnome icon theme I think though) and I did have some
tearing at first on the radeon driver, but have been unable to reproduce
it after four or five separate installs (so I came to the conclusion
that either it has been fixed, or my system was being quirky). The
actual system once installed with the defaults is actually quite solid.

I think the only work that it needs is polish on the things I've already
stated and maybe the "GTK2" themes (it seems to use a different theme,
maybe we should look at what fedora does as the one they have in GTK2
apps matches perfectly.

Other than that, I will report bugs if I manage to find any.

Martin