Nouveau nom d'amaroK -->Amarok

TURPIN Benoît benoit.turpin at centrale-lyon.net
Dim 11 Juin 14:49:09 UTC 2006

Bonjour à tous,

/!\Attention, remarque de maniaque/!\

Sur http://amarok.kde.org/blog/ (8 juin 2006) on peut voir que le nom
officiel est maintenant Amarok et non AmaroK, amarok ou encore  amaroK
(ancien nom officiel).

Il faudra y être attentif pour les prochaines traductions.
Ci-joint le texte, le blog évoluant régulièrement.

Benoît.

        /amaroK is now Amarok
        <http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/94-amaroK-is-now-Amarok.html>/

/ /

/As one of the results of our K3M multimedia meeting in the Netherlands,
your favourite media player is now called "Amarok". Say goodbye to
"amaroK" and its various misspellings "AmaroK", "aMar0k", and friends.
However, you may still call it Anorak, this is officially acceptable ;-)

For those of you not following the mailing list, here's a copy of my
arguments pro name change as discussed on the list, to help you
understand our motivations behind the change:

1) Misspelling of the name is inevitable. In many languages (e.g.
French) it's downright an error and unacceptable to start a sentence
without a capital letter. So in official media it is always going to be
spelt "AmaroK" at the start of a sentence, and possibly also in mid
sentence. We're provoking this misspelling.

Here are some excerpts from the Helix engine desktop file:

Comment[et]=AmaroKi plugin
Comment[fr]=Module pour AmaroK

2) It was a funny idea when Amarok was young, but nowadays it just seems
quirky.

3) The name is unusual enough not to require additional attention from
special capitalization.

4) Amarok is intended to be a software for all desktops, not just KDE.
The capital K suggests that it's a KDE only application.

5) Changing the name earlier is easier than later, assuming that our
popularity is still growing.

6) The Amarok logo does in no way reflect the current spelling. If
anything, it looks like "amarOk".

7) The various misspellings hurt name branding. There should be one
brand "Amarok", and misspelling weakens our brand./