[off topic] Fwd: FSF seeks full-time senior GNU/Linux systems administrator
Sandra Cristina Muñoz Castillo
sandrycastillo en gmail.com
Vie Mayo 30 02:57:02 UTC 2014
The FSF is hiring! We're fortunate to have a base of supporters that are
both skilled and passionate, and I'm sure many of you would be an excellent
fit for our Senior Systems Administration position. I hope you will pass
around this email if you know of anyone who might be interested. Please
share the job description on your favorite blogs, mailing lists, and social
Outreach & Communication Coordinator
Free Software Foundation
FSF seeks full-time senior GNU/Linux systems administrator
*You can view this post online at
The Free Software Foundation (FSF), a Boston-based 501(c)(3) charity with a
worldwide mission to protect freedoms critical to the computer-using
public, seeks a full-time senior systems administrator.
The ideal candidate will be a well-rounded GNU/Linux systems administrator
who thrives on constant broad-based learning and problem-solving. (S)he
will be familiar with the free software community and how it works, and
will be more interested in making a substantial contribution to software
freedom and having employment consistent with ethical ideals than obtaining
the highest salary.
This is an opportunity to work for the organization that started the GNU
Project, launched the free software movement, and safeguards the GNU
General Public License. The position includes frequent contact and
collaboration with many of the core GNU developers, and currently reports
to the executive director.
Together, the senior systems administrators have a great deal of influence
over technology decisions within the FSF, and do crucial work empowering
thousands of others to develop free software.
With our small staff of twelve, each person makes a clear contribution. We
work hard, but offer a humane and fun work environment.
The FSF is a mature and growing organization that provides great potential
for advancement; existing staff are prioritized for any new job openings.
Example systems administration tasks include:
- Be a lead voice in the Foundation's software system decision-making
- Install and maintain fully free GNU/Linux systems on servers,
desktops, laptops, and embedded devices
- Support GNU developers and FSF staff in their use of FSF-owned systems
- Monitor and improve system security and network infrastructure
- Spec and purchase new equipment
- Coordinate work of volunteer systems administrators
- Share in the on-call rotation to deal with core system emergencies
- Learn about and work with cutting-edge free technologies like Coreboot
- Blog publicly about the technologies and techniques used at the FSF;
inform FSF policy positions in technical areas
Programming is occasionally required, such as:
- Fix bugs and submit patches upstream for the software used at the FSF
- Design, write, and release new software when existing software doesn't
fit the bill
- Improve and maintain existing custom software
Useful specific experience includes:
- 4+ years experience as a GNU/Linux systems administrator
- 3+ years experience with at least two programming languages
- 2+ years experience with an apt-based GNU/Linux distribution
- 1+ years experience with SQL (preferably PostgreSQL or MySQL)
- Undergraduate college degree, or in lieu of degree, substantially more
experience than that listed above
- A portfolio of contributions to free software projects or their
Expected technical skills are:
- Expert knowledge of systems administration for GNU/Linux with
- In-depth understanding of key network protocols such as TCP/IP, BGP,
DNS, SMTP, HTTP, FTP, NFS, DHCP, etc.
- In-depth understanding of key system components such as
virtualization, automated systems management, software RAID, MTAs, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of Drupal and Nginx
- Familiarity with at least two of Perl, PHP, Python or Ruby. High
proficiency (expert preferred) in at least one of these languages
- Thorough knowledge of network and system security, especially as
related to the kernel Linux and common Internet services
- Knowledge of network routing and related services in GNU/Linux, such
as iptables and stateful firewalls
- Ability to design SQL databases
- Ability to spec, purchase, assemble, and debug components for
custom-build server systems
We will prefer candidates with additional skills, such as:
- In-depth knowledge of CiviCRM, Xen, Puppet, Exim, Spamassassin,
Mailman, Quagga, Apache, RT, Coreboot, Squid, Zope, Plone, Semantic
Mediawiki, CAS, Django, SQL Ledger
- Knowledge of version control systems: Git, Subversion, CVS, RCS
- Soldering, making your own Ethernet cable, extremely high Nethack
We also require:
- A willingness to learn and understand how the political and
philosophical positions of an organization impact computing requirements
- An ability to work as part of a team and to handle and coordinate
contributions from a volunteer core
- Being open-minded and tolerant of others
Benefits and salary
The job must be worked on-site at FSF's downtown Boston offices, because it
involves caring for equipment that is physically located there.
It is a union position. The salary is fixed at $61,651 and is
non-negotiable. Other benefits include:
- reimbursement for some relocation expenses,
- full family health coverage through Blue Cross/Blue Shield's HMO Blue
- subsidized dental plan,
- four weeks of paid vacation annually,
- seventeen paid holidays annually,
- public transit commuting cost reimbursement,
- 403(b) program through TIAA-CREF,
- yearly cost-of-living pay increases, and
- potential for an annual performance bonus.
The position is available immediately, and we will be accepting
applications until it is filled. To ensure consideration, please submit
your application by 10am EDT (15:00 UTC), Monday, June 16th, 2014.
Applications must be submitted via email to hiring en fsf.org. The email must
contain the subject line, "Senior Systems Administrator." A complete
application should include:
- cover letter,
- contact information for three references, and
- links to any published free software work.
All materials must be in a free format (such as plain text, PDF, or
OpenDocument, and not Microsoft Word). Email submissions that do not follow
these instructions will be overlooked. No phone calls, please.
An on-site interview will be required with the executive director and the
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to promoting a diverse
workplace, and do not discriminate based on gender, sex, race, color,
religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual
Follow us on GNU social <https://status.fsf.org/fsf> | Subscribe to our
blogs via RSS <https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS> | Join us as an associate member
Sent from the Free Software Foundation,
51 Franklin Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02110-1335
from this mailing list.
Stop all email
from the Free Software Foundation, including Defective by Design, and the
Free Software Supporter newsletter.
Sandra Cristina Muñoz
Sandra Cristina Muñoz
------------ próxima parte ------------
Se ha borrado un adjunto en formato HTML...
More information about the ubuntu-es