No veo ni oigo video en MPlayer en Lubuntu 12.04

Juanjo ubuntu.lista en gmail.com
Dom Sep 9 17:58:14 UTC 2012

Hola hoy el problema que tengo es en un equipo viejo  Compaq Presario
700EA CPU AMD Duron 896 MHz, 337 RAM y tarjeta gráfica S3 VT8636A, con
Lubuntu 12.04.
Me lo han dejado para revivirlo. Todo funciona bien y fluido, menos el
asunto del vídeo.
Tiene los codecs instalados (Medibuntu).
Al intentar ver uno con formato avi en MPlayer me da el siguiente error:

3DNow supported but disabled
3DNowExt supported but disabled
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: demux_open
- MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.
  It usually happens when you run it on a CPU different than the one it
was
  compiled/optimized for.
  Verify this!
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We
can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a
possible bug.

--
Un saludo.

Juanjo