about building spice3 for debian

Néstor Hernández Cruz nesthor en inaoep.mx
Vie Abr 1 11:25:16 CST 2005

Hi guys,
well I have many questions,
first; have you ever build spice3 for debian in Ubuntu I really need
the spice simulator but there is no package for deb, instead I found a
recipe of making one but I can not make it function, the recipe, I
wrote for you below, I have all the files and the libraries requested,
but when I try to run spice3, nothing happens just the message of
command not found or something like that.

****************** Begining recipe Spice3*****************************

~  SPICE version 3f5 for Debian

~    1. Preface

Due to some legal issues the circuit simulation program SPICE must not
be part of Linux distributions. Most distributions don't care about
that, but Debian does, and so there is no official Debian package of
SPICE.

~    2. Installation

Nevertheless, the SPICE sources are available, and anyone may build
her own spice_3f5-3_i386.deb this way:

~   1. install debian packages "dpkg-dev", "debhelper",
~      "libncurses5-dev", "libxaw7-dev", "xlibs-dev", and
~      "libreadline4-dev".
~   2. get spice3f5sbins.tar.gz (or spice3f5sbins.tgz, but then rename
~      it to spice3f5sbins.tar.gz) from your favorite ftp site, e.g. on
~      sunsite and its mirrors in apps/circuits.
~   3. get spice_3f5-3.dsc
~      <http://www.eda.ei.tum.de/%7Emcp/spicedeb/spice_3f5-3.dsc> and
~      spice_3f5-3.diff.gz
~      <http://www.eda.ei.tum.de/%7Emcp/spicedeb/spice_3f5-3.diff.gz>
~      and put them into the same directory as spice3f5sbins.tar.gz .
~      MD5 sums are:

54170dcb65a1d9155b26fd8970c26bf4  spice_3f5-3.diff.gz
bbc6930088473cb428d20dbce1b1c228  spice_3f5-3.dsc

~   4.

~      dpkg-source -x spice_3f5-3.dsc
~      cd spice-3f5

~   5. if you have the package "fakeroot" installed:

~      dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot -us -uc

~      else

~      su -c "dpkg-buildpackage -b -us -uc"

~   6.

~      cd ..
~      su -c "dpkg -i spice_3f5-3_i386.deb"

The patches in spice_3f5-3.diff.gz include all patches that were
distributed with spice3f5 anyway, plus one found in spice3f5sfix and
some of my own to fix a lot of memory leaks and bugs in the command
line parser to make it more stable (esp. the "alter" commands), as
well as a temperature problem in the BSIM3 models.

~    3. Check if it works

bash> *cd /tmp*
bash> *spice3 /usr/share/doc/spice/examples/schmitt.cir*

Spice 1 -> *run*
Spice 2 -> *display*
Spice 3 -> *plot V(7)*
Spice 4 -> *quit*

~    4. Possible Problems

| However, when I try to continue installation, "dpkg-source -x
| spice_3f5-3.dsc" returns a few errors as follows:
|
| x:/tmp/temp# dpkg-source -x spice_3f5-3.dsc dpkg-source: extracting
| spice in spice-3f5 tar: .: Cannot mkdir: File exists tar: Error
| exit delayed from previous errors dpkg-source: failure: tar -xkf -
| gave error exit status 2

This is a bug in GNU tar 1.13 appearing when you use the -k option if
the tar file contains '.' like spice3f5sbins.tgz does. It works with
version 1.12 and with some of the newer betas of GNU tar (for instance
1.13.25). Workaround:

~      cp /usr/bin/dpkg-source /tmp
~      chmod +x /tmp/dpkg-source

In line 982 in /tmp/dpkg-source change

~      exec('tar','-xkf','-')

~      exec('tar','-xf','-')

Then use /tmp/dpkg-source to unpack spice.

~    3. Older Versions

spice_3f5-2 is still available here:

~    * spice_3f5-2.dsc
~      <http://www.eda.ei.tum.de/%7Emcp/spicedeb/spice_3f5-2.dsc>
~    * spice_3f5-2.diff.gz
~      <http://www.eda.ei.tum.de/%7Emcp/spicedeb/spice_3f5-2.diff.gz>

spice_3f5-1 is still available here:

~    * spice_3f5-1.dsc
~      <http://www.eda.ei.tum.de/%7Emcp/spicedeb/spice_3f5-1.dsc>
~    * spice_3f5-1.diff.gz
~      <http://www.eda.ei.tum.de/%7Emcp/spicedeb/spice_3f5-1.diff.gz>

Another question I have is how to upgrade Ubuntu using synaptic.
But this is a minor problem.

Regards.