Fwd: Re: Making Ubuntu available in 50 languages

paco paco en byasl.com
Mie Oct 5 19:26:34 UTC 2011

De la lista general de traductores:
> [...]
>
> As weâ??re ramping up to the Ubuntu 11.10 release in a few dayâ??s
> time, thereâ??s another important milestone for ensuring Ubuntu is
> available in as many languages as possible: the translations
> deadline on the 6th of October.
>
> Up until now, and considering the 80% coverage cut-off, Ubuntu
> 11.10, the Oneiric Ocelot, is translated in 38 languages, lead by
> the Slovenian teamâ??s heroic effort of becoming the #1 team in the
> ranking. Making Oneiric the best translated Ubuntu release ever
>
> Last cycle Ubuntu was fully translated in 43 languages. I think
> this cycle we should be able to aim for more, and Iâ??m confident
> that with everyoneâ??s help we could reach the 50 fully translated
> languages mark.
>
> There are a few languages that are very close to reaching the 80%
> translation level:
>
> Basque, Latvian, Hebrew, Uyghur, Albanian, Estonian, Bengali,
> Punjabi
>
> And others which might need an extra push to climb up the 60% to
> 70% mark to reach 80%:
>
> Serbian Latin, Hindi, Indonesian, Tamil, Thai, Telugu, Slovak,
> Arabic, Belarusian, Gujarati
>
> So if you speak any of these or other languages, hereâ??s what you
> can do to help yours reach the 80% level and make it to the list of
> supported languages:
>
> 1. Go to the Ubuntu 11.10 translation statistics page [2] 2. Click
> on your language to find out which packages need attention 3. Find
> those packages in the list of Ubuntu translations [3] 4. Translate
> them! * Youâ??ll want to contact the translation team for your
> language [4] or check out their documentation to ensure youâ??re
> using a consistent terminology * Theyâ??ll also help you get
> started with translations and answer your questions
>
> Note: statistics are updated daily at 12:00 UTC
>
> More on translations --------------------
>
> * If you want to learn more about translating Ubuntu check out our
> Translations quickstart guide [5] * If you want to get in you can
> follow us on e-mail, on Facebook, identi.ca, twitter and in other
> ways [6]
>
> And now for something different -------------------------------
>
> If there is any web guru out there whoâ??d like to lend a hand,
> help with the CSS and the JS code for the stats page [7] would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> One cool thing Iâ??d like to do for instance is for translators to,
> once theyâ??ve clicked on their language, be able to click on a
> package that needs attention and be taken to the corresponding
> Launchpad Translations page. This only needs the corresponding rows
> in the table to be linkified, which is something Iâ??ve been
> struggling with and Iâ??m sure would be a five-minute job for an
> experienced web developer.
>
> So if you want to help translators with your web skills, drop a
> comment here or feel free to submit a bzr branch [8]. Thanks!
>
> Looking forward to the best translated Ubuntu release ever! :-)

[2]
http://people.canonical.com/~dpm/stats/ubuntu-11.10-translation-stats.html
> [3] https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ [4]
> https://translations.launchpad.net/+groups/ubuntu-translators [5]
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/QuickStartGuide [6]
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Contact [7]
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dpm/ubuntu-translations/ul10n-stats/files/head:/data/

[8] https://code.launchpad.net/~dpm/ubuntu-translations/ul10n-stats

Hi translators,

Just a quick heads up that I've updated the code that generates the
Ubuntu translations statistics, so that now when you click on a language
and then on the list of templates with untranslated strings, you will be
taken automatically to the right template in Launchpad, ready to
complete the translation.

Here is the updated report (note that the stats will be updated again
with live Launchpad data in about 45 minutes):
http://people.canonical.com/~dpm/stats/ubuntu-11.10-translation-stats.html

I hope this helps more in focusing in the most important translations
and in those requiring only a few strings to complete.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
David.

- --