[Ubuntu-eg] Stallman says cloud computing is a trap

Hassan Ibraheem hasan.ibraheem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 03:19:05 UTC 2013

Did you see how the guy browses the web? :D

Remember that although services like Gmail, Yahoo! Mail or Hotmail are
so popular, they provide extra services on top of well established
mail standards ( SMTP, POP, IMAP... etc ). So, they host your email
account and provide you just a nice interface on top of that to access
and send emails.

You can very easily set up your own email server ( if you're wiling to
pay ), and set up a web interface for it ( like Roundcube ), or just
access it through evolution or outlook.

Stallman's point is that it's stupid that people give up their privacy
and security for the convenience and price of a 3rd party hosted
service, which is sadly true. This is even proven further when people
forget about the underlying standards, and believe that email = gmail.

Hassan Ibraheem
Software Developer
Cairo, Egypt
Email: me at hsn.im Twitter: @hsnim
Skype: hassan_ibraheem LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/hsnim
Phone: +201006162499
All voice communication should be scheduled in advance, otherwise it
won't be answered.