[Ubuntu-eg] It's Time To Compete !!

Seif Lotfy seif at lotfy.com
Thu Jan 12 10:38:11 UTC 2012

One of the other issues we should bring up in the panel would be:

*"How can they (companies on the panel) help with the development of an
open source ecosystem in Egypt"*

We need to make clear that an open-source product is not an open-source
ecosystem. Ubuntu, Mozilla, Apache are open-source ecosystems. Android is
not at all, it is just an opensource product.
Microsoft's Codeplex is a Community without a real Open Source product
really so IMHO it qualifies as a semi open source ecosystem.

An open-source ecosystem consists of deployment as well as open
development. Where the license allows us to freely redistribute and modify,
and of course not fear patent war. Which brings me to my next interesting
headers.

*"Do patents and intellectual property harm of benefit the open-source
community?"*
and
*"What kind of business can one build around an open-source
project/product/ecosystem?"*
*
*
What do u guys think?