[Ubuntu-eg] An Open Source Contribution [Suggestion]

Seif Lotfy seif at lotfy.com
Mon Apr 23 13:19:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM, mosab.ahmad at gmail.com <
mosab.ahmad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I suggest that we hold an event to share among ourselves how to contribute
> to open source practically, not just in theory.
>
> Typical sessions should include but is not limited to :
>
>    - Version control
>       - Pulling/Pushing/Merging
>       - How to deal with patches and diffs
>       - Different version control systems (cvs, svn, git, hg, bzr)
>       - peer review
>       - Testing
>       - How to properly identify and report a bug
>       - Automated testing
>    - Packaging
>       - How to package your software to a .deb package for ubuntu
>
> Any other suggestions would be great.
>

> Best regards.
>
> ----------------------*
> Mosab Ahmad *
> Entrepreneur in the make
>
> Cell : +201119942443
> E-mail : mosab.ahmad at gmail.com
> LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/mosab
> github : https://github.com/mos3abof

I love your enthusiasm, really awesome and infectious.
I had a long discussion with Ahmed about this. We came to a point where we
noticed that we as a community we end up giving classes and sessions but we
never apply it. We have done this in the past and we still want to do more.
This approach is good but not efficient. We are trying to grow
unorganically.
Let us start with ourselves. Each one of us here should try to fix a bug
and report by the end of this month what he fixed, reported or translated.
This way the community will know who is capable with what and thus  they
can approach those figures with questions. This eventually could lead to a
mentorship program.

What do you think?
Cheers
Seif