[Ubuntu-eg] [Announcement] New team structure

Ahmad Raafat msh.7a2ol at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 09:15:25 UTC 2012

asly xD +1

________________________________
 From: Ahmed Toulan <thelinuxer at ubuntu.com>
To: Ubuntu Egypt <ubuntu-eg at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:34 PM
Subject: [Ubuntu-eg] [Announcement] New team structure

Dear all,

I am really happy to be giving this announcement. The email is a little bit lengthy, but I assure you it's worth reading.

A few month ago we proposed some changes to the way the team works.
Such changes were seen necessary as the team is getting bigger and
spreading across the country, and the single leader style was putting a
real huge load that affected our activity and sub-activity. So, that's
where these changes came to life. It was suggested to segment the team
into a number of sub-teams to provide team's needs of basic work(like
Artwork, Marketing, moderating, etc...) plus one group of persons to
take care of overall team's status and glue all these segments together,
 Council.

Here is what we got so far:

1. Ubuntu Egypt Council:
For
 the Council it's a group of 5 persons, elected from official members
and that council serves as a glue for Focus Groups and the whole
community. Plus handling any special situations, like conflicts, besides
 studying any issue related to the team, like partnering with other
communities. They can never be considered as superiors, and any
official/core member can nominate her/himself to become a council
member.

2. Ubuntu Egypt Focus Groups:
Focus
 Group (FG) is a group of like-minded persons specialized in providing
the team some certain kind of service. Groups are open for anyone to
join, but working inside an FG will require members to have expertise to
 get the work done. It's preferred to join one or two FGs as maximum so
you won't get occupied with FGs' work and also you won't get overwhelmed
 by tasks on times of heavy work, for example during organizing events
the Art FG may get so many tasks.

To put it clear, we currently have these FGs intact:

Art: to provide the needed artwork for the team during events for example or even our periodic logo changes.
Marketing: it describes itself, Marketing the team and to create and manage marketing strategy.
Support: to give support on all of our channels.
Operators: to moderate our channels.

and we also, have these FGs:

Women: to encourage the feminine presence on our Arabic linux world.
Developers: A place to find answers on you questions if you want to get involved with Linux-development.

3. Ubuntu Egypt Official Membership:
This
 is the group of core contributors to the team, people the whole
community relies upon. One of the main benefits of membership is that
members can nominate themselves to the council and have voting rights.
The main idea behind membership is to prevent poisoning in the voting
process.

4. Council Elections:
Council elections should be held once a year at the beginning of May. Elections will be done on http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/civs_create.html to ensure full transparency. This is the same tool used for Ubuntu
community different elections. More details like the elections date will be announced soon.

5. Launchpad project:
This
 project is created for task tracking. This will allow us to easily
track the progress of different tasks and participators will also gain a
 few karma points to help them later with their official/core
membership.

We urge all of our current members to follow the membership page and start submitting your applications. We are following this formal process to set an example for all future members.

Best regards,
Ahmed Toulan.