Open Source Education Day 2011: Plan

Salwan salwanmax at gmail.com
Fri May 6 16:55:59 UTC 2011

Greetings everyone,
I now have the details for both sponsorship and event activities ready.
The date of the event is 16th of May, but it isn't set in stone. I'm
trying to convince the university to grant OSED the main conference hall
which is an international quality conference room. If that happened we
may push the event back a little for better timing.
Right now, I can only push it to next Monday, that would be 23th of May.

Here are the details (in parse-able format :P ):

Here is a list of the activities involved in OSED. The time span of the
event will be 6 hours. *The exact sequence of the events and the time
period of each is negotiable based on presenters time and the session
length*.

 > Event Activities

[TIME]         11:00-12:00
[ACTIVITY]    Open Source for Education
[DESCRIPTION]    What is open-source and why it's great for education?
Specific examples and demonstration.
[PRESENTER(S)]    Salwan Asaad

[TIME]        12:00-1:00
[ACTIVITY]    Open Source for Work
[DESCRIPTION]    Is open source viable for professional usage? Specific
examples in detail of how open source solutions are employed
successfully by businesses around the world and locally if possible.
[PRESENTER(S)]    Open -- contact me if interested

[TIME]        1:00-1:30
[ACTIVITY]    Rest & Propaganda!
[DESCRIPTION]    Install-feast tactics on the audience, (optional) OSED
catalog handouts, (optional) Live CD handouts.
[PRSENTER(S)]    Linux forces

[TIME]        1:30-2:30
[ACTIVITY]    Open Source Discussion
[DESCRIPTION]    A QA discussion between a group of open source experts
chosen from different fields and the audience about open source solutions.
[PRESENTER(S)]    Open - 4-5 experts are needed to form the group,
contact me if interested

[TIME]         2:30-3:30
[ACTIVITY]    Introducing Linux for IT
[DESCRIPTION]    An introduction to Linux and its features as an OS
including a practical demonstration
[PRESENTER(S)]    Open -- contact me if interested

[TIME]        3:30-4:30
[ACTIVITY]    Introducing Python for IT
[DESCRIPTION]    An introduction to Python and its usage including a
practical demonstration
[PRESENTER(S)]     Open - contact me if interested

[TIME]        After 5:00
[ACTIVITY]     Unofficial Open Source Gathering
[DESCRIPTION]    Discussing what can we do to support open source, how
to spread Linux and the open mindset further, whether a similar event
should be done next year or somewhere else, being nerdy, etc...
[PRESENTER(S)]    FOSS heroes and heroines

 > Sponsorship Details

This is what the event needs essentially:

1. 1 Large-sized banner to be placed on the IT building in a position
such that its facing those who enter the university from its main door,
about 4mx2m or 3mx1.5m.
2. 1 Mid-sized banner on wooden stand, about 50cmx1m with the
description of the event and its activities. This will be placed
permanently at a strategic entrance.
3. Fliers A4 size with 2-3 folds, contains a description of the event
and its activities. In addition to something interesting other than the
description like a definition of what open source is, the goals of the
event, a few websites of interest about the subject, etc..
4. A number of advertising posters size A3 to be posted in universities
and places where interest in OSED can be found.
5. (If possible) A mini-catalogue to be distributed to the audience at
the event, it should have around 10-15 pages, includes a definition of
open source software, detailed information about a chosen Linux distro
and how to get it, then a description of selected quality open source
software solutions with web learning resources for each: Python, PHP,
Blender, GIMP, Qt, etc...

--
Kindest Regards,
Salwan Asaad