hp pavilion dv6 needs Ubuntu

Ahmed Shams ahmedkhattabshams at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:17:02 UTC 2011

On 13/07/2011, Islam Hassan <iah.vector at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Tarek Abdul-Kader
> <tarek.elywah at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> hi all
Hi Tarek

>> I have my friend gave me his lap (pavilion dv6 ) to install ubuntu on it
>>
>> but I'm facing a strange problems
>>
>> I tried to install inside windows throw wubi >>> I have it installed but
>> without grub menu

At this point we have two possible causes:
1. GRUB is not installed correctly or not at all, usually means that
your installation source is corrupted(Rare), will go further on this
point if you want?

2. GRUB installed somewhere else, not on the active partition:
I *assume* that you tried to install it inside a Win7, if so, here are
possible causes:
By default, Win7 creates a separated partition precedent the actual
installation partition,(to secure&stabilize boot loader)[sure in vain]
this ~100 MB partition is an active partition, during installation you
need to make the installer install your Grub to that 100MB part.
But wait, there is a better way, it's to install Ubuntu separately(not
through wubi)
a)create a separate part.
b)use Gparted to SET the designated Ubuntu Root AS ACTIVE part.
c)Install Ubuntu there and during installation, INSTALL GRUB TO THE
SAME PART(Why?**).
d)it'll detect your win7, you'll be able to boot both, isA :)
You can do the same if you used wubi, just install the GRUB to the
very first part, (on GParted you'll see a *boot* flag under the flags
column next to it).

=====
Why?**: that's because Windows tends to go blue!(i.e. fail to boot
up), if you install Ubuntu's boot loader to ~100MB part. , the next
time you install windows, it'll just erase your grub forcing you to
hear Win's login sound.
On the contrary, if you installed it on Ubuntu's root, it'll be safe,
DOS can't see EXT4 FS(till now haha), if wanted to install a Win,
after the install finishes, Open Gparted(from live cd) and change the
*boot* flag back to the Ubuntu's root(the ext(?) file system)
=====

>> I removed ubuntu from windows (add or remove programs) and I tried to boot
>> from USB and customize the partitions with GParted but there is another
>> problem that GParted doesn't see the partitions it appears un
>> allocated  some of them

This usually means that some/all of your part.s is corrupted or it's the MBR.
and (Yes, this can prevent any installation) in both ways, use the
windows check disk to fix them. If couldn't fix it, Do it the hard
way. Use win7 to move all of your data to external disk, format the
whole HDD, install 7 then Ubuntu, BUT before doing this please try
another disk management tool( +1 > Acronis Disk Director on Hiren's
BootCD 10, )
HBCD: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/hbcd-v100/
dnld: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.10.0.zip
USB-boot: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/usb-booting/

>> I have a bad experience with hp because my lap is hp probook and
>> I'm suffering from several problems with ubuntu but anyway I want to know
best way to learn is to be NOT afraid of losing everything, what old
machines for :) (or Virtual machine!!)

--
Regards,
Ahmed