Workshop Suggestions

Ahmed Toulan thelinuxer at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 10 22:18:44 UTC 2011

Hi Ahmed Sayed,

I have a masters degree in a field related to speech recognition
(Spoken term detection). From my experience, for the recognition
part only, we need to have a good database. I tried to  convince
Sebastien(Google's developers relations manager) to help create
an Arabic speech database but I never heard back from him.

Forgive me guys I will get a little bit technical about the subject :)

The basic definition of good database is that it should be phonetically
balanced and have sufficient repetitions for monophones and triphones.
So, IMO what we need is to collect a good database if we really
want to build a robust recognition engine.

Of course we can build a simple recognizer with a few hours of
recordings but it won't be robust enough for real world applications,
and we can use this as a starting point to keep ourselves motivated :)

And yes I totally agree with you. Using HTK requires a lot of glue
code to make it work together. I mostly used bash and python
for this purpose. We can create a simple IDE to save some time :D
I wanted to build that IDE when I was doing my masters, but of
course didn't have time to do both :)

About the workshop. I guess what we mostly need is to spread
the word and try to get help from different universities. I can contact
my professors @ Cairo universities and may be u can do the same
@ ur university and anyone else who might interested in the subject.

Who knows may be this team will produce the a standard speech
database that will be used by researchers in the future.

Can u please give us some technical specs of the database u have.
How many subjects ? How long ? How many male/female ? Who
owns the database ? ..etc

Best regards,
Ahmed Toulan.