Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Amahdy mrjava.javaman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 22:18:29 UTC 2011

Here is my opinion, you can keep the official Ubuntu CD as is, and create
another CD that contains both of:
1) Files under "/var/cache/apt/archives" which is all the installed software
sources.
2) Files under "~/" (e.g. /home/username/.gnome) which is all your
preferences, note that they are all hidden files.

And then to re-install your system:
A) Install Ubuntu as usual
B) Restore files from "1"
C) Re-Install the software from the Ubuntu Center or Terminal (will take
seconds, no download needed)
D) Replace files collected from "2" into your home directory "~/" (Overwrite
existing files)

Hope this could help :)

-- Amahdy AbdElAziz
http://www.linkedin.com/in/amahdyabdelaziz