[Ubuntu-eg] It's Time To Compete !!

Seif Lotfy seif at lotfy.com
Mon Dec 26 02:38:20 UTC 2011

So I had some time to talk with some very interesting Open Source figures,
and they brought up some very good points. This is not challenge.

Or mission it not to make Microsoft look like bad people. We need to be
productive.
Bringing Open Source to the world is nothing that will happen over night,
but it is a processes to make people understand and welcome the concepts of
Open Source.

Microsoft has 2 Licenses that according to the Free Software Foundation, it
is a free software license, however not compatible with GPL, which is OK
since a lot of licenses are not compatible with GPL such as (Apache License
1.0 and 1.1  as well as Apache 2.0 for GPL < 3)

Those 2 Microsoft licenses were approved by the Open Source Initiative in
2007. That is not bad. It is a good start.

We need to try to push Microsoft and other people in the panel acknowledge
that Linux, Apache and other are leading in Open Source and that Microsoft
etc... need to endorse the ideology. Why not open source Windows. Our
mission is not to destroy Microsoft but our mission is to make Microsoft
open more of their source code.

This being said here are few questions that should be asked.

How does FLOSS benefit the economy?
How does FLOSS push for innovation?
How does FLOSS push for better quality Software?
Does Microsoft see itself pushing in that direction? If yes when will we
see and open-sourced Windows or Office?
Can FLOSS and proprietary software coexist? If yes how?
What is the difference between and opensource product (Android being an
open source product but built behind closed doors which means nobody can
contribute to the product in development) and an opensource ecosystem
(Ubuntu, GNOME, Apache, Linux Kernel)?
Should the higher education push for teaching the development and usage of
opensource platform?

I will write down more questions later... Right now it is just too late :)

Cheers
Seif