Open Source Education Day 2011 (OSED'2011)

Salwan salwanmax at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 22:34:27 UTC 2011

On 4/29/2011 6:42 PM, Amr Ali wrote:
> Salwan;
>
> I personally recommend the cooperation with Ubuntu-EG, they are organized and
> used to making med-to-large events, meet regularly, and full of energetic people.
>
> And I'm not recommending them just because I'm a member (very lazy, and rarely
> contributing member, but that's aside from the point), but also because some of
> the members are senior members in EGLUG or administrators, so they got the
> experience and the connections for such thing.
>
> Anyways, good luck, and wish you all the best :-)
>
> On 04/29/2011 06:36 PM, Ahmed Toulan wrote:
>> Hi Salwan,
>>
>> I sent u an email, and no u didn't reply yet :) . Anyway we can continue the
>> discussion here. I mentioned that we give a number of sessions in our events.
>> These sessions include Qt, Python, Joomla, Drupal, Inkscape and Blender. We
>> would be glad to help u in the event as a group isA, in anyway possible.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ahmed Toulan.

@Ahmed: oops sorry ^_^' it was a little email client mistake on my part..
Yes, let's continue here then.
That sounds amazing!
One of the things I'm trying to do is take the whole curriculum for IT
department in Misr University and suggest open source alternatives for
each closed source solution they use.. We might even go beyond that and
suggest open source alternatives for computer engineering subjects,
things like GHDL (http://ghdl.free.fr/) or Sage
(http://www.sagemath.org/) come to mind..
Now, the sessions you mentioned fit this goal perfectly, especially if
presenters included a direct comparison between the closed-source
solution in use and the open-source alternative, so if we take Qt for
example that would be a Windows Forms|MFC vs. Qt comparison, can this be
done?
Furthermore, in your opinion, how many sessions like these can be given
in about 3 hours?

@Amr: I'm glad I met you guys =)
I know you're busy, but are you interested in participating in the event
activities? I remember you mentioning something about taking advantage
of the event.. ;-)
What do you have in mind?

--
Kindest Regards,