time & egypt

Ahmed Kamal email.ahmedkamal at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:41:08 UTC 2011

I havent been following the thread closely, but seeing there's a lot of
fuss, here's my understanding. Standard *nix boxes set hardware clock to
UTC, which is optionally sync'ed over NTP to make sure it's precise. The TZ
database, keeps track of different time offsets for different countries.
Thus both NTP and TZ DB are needed for accurate time keeping. NTP is
not necessary however assuming your hardware clock doesn't drift as much.
Contrarily, Windows boxes (being designed for personal computing from day
one) keep hardware clock at local time offset (not UTC)