Good News, New Event

Seif Lotfy seif at lotfy.com
Fri Apr 22 20:20:10 UTC 2011

I actually am using Fedora now and I must say its really good (due to gnome
3)
So there are alternatives. Linux Mint which is now debian based is growing.
http://distrowatch.com/
By alternatives you need to take the Shell into respect. GNOME Shell and
Unity are 2 different products.
Don't sell Ubuntu as THE OPEN SOURCE PROJECT but rather sell Ubuntu part of
the OPEN SOURCE ECOSYSTEM
Presenting alternatives does not mean you are against Ubuntu. Presenting
alternatives could be a pathway to come to Ubuntu at some point. As a LoCo
team representing Ubuntu you should also represent what Ubuntu is about.
Ubuntu is part of an Eco-System and it contributes to it by marketing Linux.
So maybe presenting alternatives is not a bad idea.

Which message sounds better to you:

- If you dont like Ubuntu then stay with Windows
or
- If you dont like Ubuntu you can try Debian/Fedora/etc...

Thus I think it makes sense to present alternatives. I can do that and also
talk on behalf of GNOME (let me check with the board first) since I am a
member and have been contributing to it since 2006.

Seif