Cairo University event

Mahmoud Fawzy m.fawzy.linux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 07:48:32 UTC 2010

Al salam Alikom

Dear ubuntu-eg team members,

I think I owe you an explanation about what happened in the Cairo University
event.....

As most of you know, IShare was mainly created to spread the spirit of
open-source among university students, and it began as an idea inside
Ubuntu-eg team, so our relation isn't a "cooperation" nor a "partnership" we
are almost one community after all, we are one entity not two different
things.

About the event, in our college the most normal thing that happenes is that
we reserve halls on Saturdays to hold such big events, we have done that,
and got approval from everybody, so it was just a matter of time for the
last official to sign on that request, what made us "99% sure" as I used to
say to A. Toulan. However, el wakeel of out college was changed, and the new
one didn't approve the event, we tried our best to convince him; we sent him
our supervising Dr., we went to reserve a hall in computer science we did
almost everything that can spit out in mind! however, he loved the idea of
the event but he said "there are no more events on Saturdays, for --
security reasons" :S. I think that all of you know that "security reasons"
in an Egyptian governmental university is an unarguable reason :S. so I'm
really sorry if I've promised you and failed to do it, and I want you to be
sure, that NO one would ever care about Ubuntu-eg in Cairo University more
than me.

yours sincerely
M. Fawzy