Hello & how should I set this up?

Kym Z kym at riverland.net.au
Tue May 31 02:55:34 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I've just joined this group, I am the bursar at a tiny Christian primary
school in country South Australia.
We have made the move to using Edubuntu on the student computers over
the last 2 years.  We are running Ubuntu server 9.10 on a file server
and Edubuntu 10.04LTS on the student machines.   Also Clear OS for Proxy
Server...
Unfortunately, at the moment, the student computers are set to start
automatically with a local, generic account.  I would rather if the
students had to "log-in" to their own account, with details stored on
the server, in order to start the computer (so that all their files and
settings will be available on any computer).  However, I don't know how
to set this up - is there any documentation available about how to do
this?  I don't think I want to set them up as LTSP since the server
probably can't handle that, and some of the computers can also boot XP
as an option...
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,
Kym.