Help with Edubuntu Live CD customization

Garrett gjohnsit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 15:58:01 UTC 2011

Hi,
   I am working in the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic.
I have a couple computer labs I am managing. They are all old WinXP machines
with mostly pirated software. They know nothing about Linux here.

  For several reasons, including undependable electricity that shuts off
without warning (something that Unix hates), and a lack of Internet access
in two of the labs, I wanted to roll out a bunch of Edubuntu Live CDs. You
can't beat the learnings games.
   The thing is, I would need to customize my Live CDs in a couple ways, and
I'm not certain how to do that.
For instance: 1) I would need it to default to Spanish, 2) I would need to
turn off the install option at boot up, and 3) I want to install an offline
encyclopedia.

  I've looked around and Evopedia appears to be a decent option for the
offline Wikipedia, because it is native to Ubuntu and has a Spanish language
option (although if someone has a better idea, I'm all ears). The trick is
putting it onto a Live CD. I know the .deb packages are in the "Pool"
directory, but I'm guessing there is more to it than that.

  I've been playing with ISO Master, which is great for adding and removing
files, but no option for editing them. Am I going to have to resort to
command line utilities?

 I know a few things about Linux, but I'm no guru. I know that a lot of this
I'm just going to have to figure out for myself. If anyone has any pointers
I would certainly appreciate it.

--
Garrett Johnson