Hello & how should I set this up?

Jesse Griffin jag3773 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:17:44 UTC 2011

Hello Kym,

You have a few options, but I would recommend that you take a look at using
OpenLDAP (http://www.openldap.org/) in conjunction with NFS, which I assume
you are already using on your fileserver.  You can set it up so that a
student logs in and their home directory is automatically mounted via NFS to
the fileserver.  That way there are no files stored on the local machines
and every student has their own account through the ldap directory.

I'll say that this is not extremely simple to do, but the extra work up
front will make it a solid long term solution.

Jesse
tummy.com Linux Consulting