SSH Compression

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Wed Aug 24 12:15:49 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I don't have easy access to a server at the minute, and not sure where
the settings are anyway; but I've been wondering about this for a
while and am just hoping that someone can point me in the right
direction:

A week or so ago when I was onsite at a school, I ran a binary tcpdump
to get an indication of network usage with approximately 12 thin
clients working.

It wasn't a very precisely measured test or anything, but the server
sent/received a Gigabyte of traffic in about a couple of minutes.

So I'm just wondering whether SSH compression is enabled by default or
not? And if it is, whether there's any way to tweak it?

Also, it occurs to me that SSH compression would have to be lossless,
by nature. So I'm wondering if there's any way to get something like
tight-vnc working; or whether we should try a lightweight X desktop
like XFCE?

I'm not really happy about the performance, compared to terminal
server, for ex, or even the old Fedora/Gnome K12-LTSP we upgraded from.

Insights and pointers appreciated. Flames > /dev/null

;-)

--
Jeff Brown

Tel:+27-74-101 5170