ubuntu-education Digest, Vol 37, Issue 5

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 11:28:16 BST 2010

Velli-Matti

Your email hit a lot of great points regarding schools.

I'd like to suggest a couple more:

   - Federated ID Management becomes important in "trust" management (e.g.
   org A "trusts" org B, so users at org-B are provided access to org-A) for
   access to network, file-server or application resources.
      - Here in North Carolina the Universities and the K-12 grades are
      moving gradually to a Federated ID management and currently the
open sourceShibboleth<http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/>is what's being
implemented.
      - Shibboleth has been developing  as the primary Federated ID
      management software among many leading educational institutions
here in the
      U.S.

   - Security that's easy to configure and provides logs for certain
   activities.
   - Easy to use and scalable Remote Learning and Video Conferencing
   "web-ex" like solution.   DimDim for
Learning<http://www.dimdim.com/solutions/dimdim_education.html>is just
one example.
   - Remote Desktop or VDI solution.
   - This is tied to Remote Learning
         1. There are a lot of possibilities and some I liked were:
         2. Remmina <http://remmina.sourceforge.net/> - is a remote desktop
         client written in GTK+, aiming to be useful for system
administrators and
         travellers, who need to work with lots of remote computers in front of
         either large monitors or tiny netbooks. Remmina supports
multiple network
         protocols in an integrated and consistant user interface.
Currently RDP, NX,
         VNC, NX, XDMCP and SSH are supported.
         3. x2go <http://www.x2go.org/index.php?id=4> - read about the
Linux4Afrika
         project <http://www.linux4afrika.de/x2go/index.html> which uses the
         x2go (the website also provides a lot of their configuration
information.
         4. and LTSP <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP> always
         comes to mind.
         - This also needs to be easily managed/supported 24x7 as on-line
   school resources will become utilized 24x7 by teachers, students and parents

Brian

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM, <ubuntu-education-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 12:13:50 +0300
> From: Veli-Matti Lintu <veli-matti.lintu at opinsys.fi>
> Subject: Re: Ubuntu in Education resources from Canonical
> To: Edubuntu Dev <edubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>,
>        "ubuntu-education at lists.ubuntu.com"
>        <ubuntu-education at lists.ubuntu.com>,
> edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Hi,
>
> It has been really interesting to read all the stories posted here, so I
> thought to share my (and my colleagues) experiences. The message got a
> bit long, so I posted it also in blog for easier reading here:
>
> http://www.opinsys.fi/en/ubuntu-in-education-in-finland

> As I'm working for Opinsys, a solution provider in Finland, that builds
> systems for schools using Ubuntu, I first thought that this was an easy
> task - just write down a bunch of things and fire it away. But when I read
> the other responses around the world, I realised how little I know
> about Ubuntu usage in schools outside Finland. As that probably holds true
> for others about Finland, here's some background information in
> form of links:
>
>      * http://www.opinsys.fi/en/mista-on-hyvat-koulu-tehty
>      * http://www.osor.eu/news/fi-over-a-hundred-schools-using-open-source
>      *
> http://flosse.blogging.fi/2010/07/28/state-of-open-source-software-in-finnish-schools-some-good-news-something-crucial-still-missing
>      * http://bit.ly/amFiOO (map of schools using FOSS in Finland)
>
> Every country has its own history and traditions, so many of the little
> things we do to get things working here are probably not needed
> elsewhere. Still many of the general computing trends apply also to
> Finland. Here are some things that come in to my mind in random order:
>
>      * Finnish is a tiny language and there's a lot of local content and
> legacy applications that are needed. Content in English
>        language doesn't really help here.
>      * There are a lot of video formats and flash content and at least one
> big content provider still uses Macromedia Shockwave for some of it.
>      * Many teachers expect content to match the national curriculum.
>      * The trend for new stuff is towards online content and web
> applications
>      * Internet connection speeds in most areas are not a problem. ADSL is
> available everywhere and more and more schools

       have fiber connections. There are usually no backup connections,