Fw: Ubuntu for School

Rob Frohne rob.frohne at wallawalla.edu
Thu Oct 14 00:46:59 BST 2010

Good Project!  The bigger your school is the harder it will be, but it
will be a good learning experience for you in any case, even if you
aren't successful totally.

I actually think we all need to come up with some of the tools to make
administering a lab of computers easier on Ubuntu.  I haven't really
solved this to my satisfaction for my lab.  Ubuntu actually has some
commercial software or a service that looked like it would work nicely,
but it isn't open source of cheap.  It takes far too much time to
upgrade a whole lab of computers, and just keeping them updated is
problematic.  One thing that has helped is this little sequence that
allows me to have the same packages installed on all the lab computers.

dpkg --get-selections > mypackages.txt
sudo dpkg --set-selections < mypackages.txt
sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

Best wishes,

Rob

Best regards,