Junior High School students build their own Ubuntu computers

Don Davie dedavie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 21:36:28 GMT 2010

I used Ubuntu and KUbuntu on a grant funded summer program called Project
PC.  We took 50 surplus computers from the county office and referbished
them for donation to shelters and foster care agencies.  The project focused
on at risk students and allocated 5k for the program.  We started out
by giving them an old PI/PII system to take completly apart then we
discussed all the parts and how they inegrated into a final computer.  I
also showed them some videos on how IT affects their lives.  There is a
nifty YouTube video on Walmarts giant IT infrastructure which was well
received by the students.  the project lasted 8 weeks and was a huge
success.

If anyone on this list would like more information, email me.

Don E. Davie
University Preparatory High School
Visalia, CA