Helping new users with setting up Edubuntu server

ps ps at gedec.org
Fri Jun 18 07:35:02 BST 2010

Dear Belinda & David

My suggestions for the Edubuntu/Debian/LTSP Vision:

- installation to be done in simple, logical steps;
- easy to install the basic system (the current Debian/Ubuntu installer
should be worked over so that all parameters can be entered in one go
and the rest of the installation happens unattended - like PC-BSD);
- one easy step to add the LTSP parts, including NX or similar;
- easy setup/integration of group-oriented tools/programs (e.g. VNC,
moodle, etc.) in a coherent "School Configuration" tool;
- creation of an admin/teacher tool with which you can do the essential
admin jobs for a school, e.g. install/delete users, change rights of
users to certain services/programs, open/close internet/chat/skype/etc
access for individual users, setup/maintenance of a website blacklist,
monitoring of individual users progress, choose applications for
LocalApps, etc.

Most of the above can be put together from existing building blocks.

What is needed is some brainstorming - by active users - about what
makes sense. The final product should be streamlined with an intuitive
look-and-feel; the user interface should be self-explanatory (remember
what Bill G. said: the more stupid the users can be, the larger the
market; it's an ugly way of putting the harsh facts). Teachers don't
usually want to be sys-admins, their strengths lie elsewhere; the system
should support them in what they do well!

Regards,

Paul

PS: We have built and used an LTSP System for the past 5 years and have
accumulated a lot of experience in this direction).