Looking for recommendations: simple GIMP

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:23:06 GMT 2010

Oops, I didn't "Reply All" with this...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Simón Ruiz <simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: Looking for recommendations: simple GIMP
To: David Groos <djgroos at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:25 AM, David Groos <djgroos at gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW--I've been wondering, should I select 'remove' or 'completely remove' or
> neither for a program I install and then decide not to use?  My concern is
> that, if I remove it and it lists dependencies which were already on my
> system because they are used by some previously installed application, will
> it remove those dependencies?
> Thanks!
> David

David,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference I know of is
that "completely remove" also gets rid of any configuration files.

If you only "remove" and then change your mind and re-install, the
program will still have any system configuration files from before to
work from. If you "completely remove" then re-install, it starts
more-or-less from scratch.

(This doesn't affect PERSONAL configuration files which live in each
user's home directory, just the system-wide configuration files that
usually live in /etc )

And I don't think you need to worry too much about it; the package
manager is smart enough not to get rid of dependencies to applications
you still have.

Have a great day!

Simón