Mounting a shared folder in everyone's home directory

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 21:39:38 BST 2010

Hi Simon,

I'm beginning to believe you're using LTSP?

Yes.

> What you are doing in step 2 is only necessary if you want to share it
> over the network using Samba/CIFS (a.k.a. "Windows" Networking). This
> creates a share so that a Windows computer browsing over to
> "\\YourComputer\Dog" will see the contents of that folder. The
> symlinks are actually manipulating the filesystem rather than actively
> "sharing" anything in the sense of that dialog box.

Right, guess I didn't have to really share it--just adjust its privileges.

> On the other hand, it's a lot of work to manage Symlinks, especially
> if your list of users changes over time (e.g., if you ever need to add
> or drop students, you'll need to remember to make sure this symlink is
> there).

Again right, it was a quick fix that worked excellently, that said, I still
need a longer term solution.

> Also, if you ever want to do this same sort of thing with different
> folders,
> It'd be a pain to write your script and manually do that every time...
>
> Here's my idea/suggestion, leaving in step 2, forgetting about
> Symlinks, and moving forward from there (I'm also checking the "Guest
> access" checkbox when I create the share on my Desktop.):

I don't understand why you are checking the "Guest access" checkbox when you
create the share on your desk because as I understand it in the next step
you are creating the folder to be shared.

> 3. "sudo mkdir /media/Dogs" - Create a folder to use as a mountpoint
> in the /media directory

Did this and it worked fine.

> 4. "sudo mount -t cifs -o guest //localhost/Dogs /media/shared" -
> Mounts the Samba share (using your loopback device; this won't slow
> down networking at all) to the folder "/media/Dogs"

Did this and got the following output: http://pastebin.com/JPf22tCi so looks
like it didn't work.  Any ideas?  I've got no immediate deadline but need to
solve this.  Also, I'd really like to set up an edubuntu wiki page about
'file sharing schemes for teachers' or something.  Any help on
naming/locating that page would be helpful.

Thanks
David

 * When an external filesystem (i.e. not just mount --binding a