Computer subject syllabus, K - 12

Will van der Leij will at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 12 09:38:13 GMT 2007

Ubunterror wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Will. Yes, I'm thinking of a curriculum on
> computer applications using entirely open source software running on
> Edubuntu. In other words, this syllabus will take the place of the
> students' computer subject in school, from K to 12. I'm thinking of
> lessons, lesson plans, and modules per year.
>
> If I find one, even just an outline on the topics per year, I plan to
> create materials so that schools can use these, so they can purchase
> additional hardware because don't have to buy expensive software
> licenses anymore.

The ICDL syllabus is broken down into modules per application. I'm
behind a firewall at the moment and cant get http traffic to verify the
correct link but Google for OpenICDL.

ICDL has come under some criticism about their structure, namely that to
break the syllabus up into applications is not practical and involves a
lot of repetition of common tasks (e.g. open file, cut&paste). Have a
look at ideas like "Ingots" which I'm not sure if they're open but seem
to structure their modules better around common tasks.

Another idea would be to look through the Open Office documentation
itself and see what tutorials they have. There might be some quality
stuff in there. I know their document repository is quite decent.
Similarly, the Mozilla knowledge base has a lot of info in. You might
just find what you're looking for.

When I get http back I'll have a look myself.

Regards,
Will van der Leij