Is this the place?

David McKenna dave at cdmck.com
Tue Nov 28 04:12:09 GMT 2006

Hello All,

I am a new teacher and former helpdesk and network technician in
Alaska.   I've been keeping my eyes on Edubuntu....thanks to all who
make it happen.  In the past 2 years my view of technology in the
classroom has changed immensely, and I have a new respect for the
frustrations that many teachers encounter which discourage further
efforts to do more in this arena.  As I watch Edubuntu evolve, I wonder
if it will address many of these frustrations.

For what it's worth, I work in a Mac-dominated district and watch
painfully as thousands of dollars are spent on very expensive hardware
that really doesn't do much more than access the Internet and use word
processors.  Mac is nice because it doesn't require the constant
maintenance (ie. patching, virus removal), but you pay so much for eye
candy, and eye candy only distracts students.  It's actually infuriating
at times how distracting and time-wasting all the bouncing icons,
dashboard widgets, and non-intuitive menu systems can be.

I'm not here to Mac bash though.....just wondering where some design
requests might be heard.  I have tried Edubuntu, and I like it very
much.  I do envision a more locked-down, plain-Jane interface (at least
for the student) resembling more of a kiosk being most useful in the
classroom.  Where can teachers provide some input or get feedback on
this aspect of Edubuntu?

Thanks in Advance,
Dave