[ec2] RFC: Amazon Web Services client libraries

Duncan McGreggor duncan at canonical.com
Thu Jan 14 06:02:43 GMT 2010

Mathias Gug wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 05:56:58PM -0700, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>> Sidnei da Silva wrote:
>>>>
>>> +1 on txAWS. We are both using and contributing to txAWS as part of
>>> the Landscape project, and we are in the process of removing the last
>>> traces of boto. Compatibility with both EC2 and UEC are a *must* for
>>> us and we'll make sure that the library is maintained and evolved as
>>> our coverage of EC2 and UEC functionality grows in Landscape.
>>>
>>> -- Sidnei
>>> Landscape Software Engineer
>>
>> Mathias, what do you need from me and the txAWS team to make this as
>> easy as possible for inclusion in Lucid? Are you championing AWS
>> libraries for inclusion, or just trying to round up champions?
>>

> I'm trying to round up champions. What are the main differences between
> python-boto and txAWS?

Hey Mathias,

The meaningful difference between boto and txAWS is that the latter is
asynchronous (Twisted framework). Boto can't be used in Twisted-based
software since it's blocking/synchronous (without going through crazy
hoops). Twisted-based apps need txAWS if they're working with Amazon's
cloud.

Thanks,