[ec2] Vanilla Apache SSL slow

Peter Wilson dearpete at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 02:40:34 BST 2009

Have been trying to configure our Ubuntu server environment on ec2 but have
run into a deal breaker with Apache SSL taking 1 second+ to respond with the
default "It works" index file.  Non SSL connections work beautifully.
I have tried a number of stock images (small instance:
ami-ed46a784<http://ec2jaunty.notlong.com/>
, ami-e546a78c <http://ec2hardy.notlong.com/>, ami-5d59be34) and get the
same behavior when run up on a large instance.

To reproduce run up a stock image and then:
- apt-get update
- apt-get dist-upgrade
- apt-get install apache2
- a2enmod ssl
- a2ensite default-ssl
- /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Using curl to hit this instance on port 80 is fast (in ms) whilst hitting
this instance on 443 results in one second plus response times for every
request.

Don't see any suspicious messages in logs.

Has anyone experienced this behavior?  Any ideas how to rectify this issue?