[ec2] Difference b/w UEC ubuntu server and destop server

John Pugh john.pugh at canonical.com
Fri Oct 9 11:06:56 BST 2009

On 10/09/2009 03:40 AM, Lal wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> The page http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/alpha-4/ says,

This is a earlier alpha - beta[1] is more current

> "The images published here are ready-to-run versions of Ubuntu Server
> for Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) or Amazon EC2."
>
> I understand, these are Ubuntu Server images which can be run remotely
> using UEC.
>
> Am I right to understand these images as AMI (Amazon Machine Image) ?

Right, this page provides download information for Ubuntu Enterprise
Cloud Machine images (UEC EMIs) and Amazon EC2 Machine images (AMIs).

> How these images are different from Desktop Ubuntu (Server) ? A few
> examples (of technical features) would be appreciated.

The difference is the same difference in Ubuntu Desktop vs Ubuntu Server
which can be found here[2]. These images provide a ready to run Ubuntu
Server minimal system. I believe there is work being done to document
what the images look like in detail, however I could not find it
directly at present.

[1] http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/beta/
[2] http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu