[ec2] Karmic cron daemon problem

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 6 13:44:53 GMT 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Кирил Ангов wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was waiting for the official karmic ami to come out so that we can upgrade
> our servers and everything seems to be working OK apart from one problem.
> Two almost identical server, one for the database and one for the webserver.
> The problem is on the database server the cron deamon does not want to work.
> It was working for the first several hours and then something happened and
> now "restart cron" or "start cron" commands just hang and never start the
> cron daemon. On the webserver it works as expected.

Hi, thanks for alerting us of this issue.  Could you please open a bug in
launchpad, and add me to the subscribers list (smoser)?

The easiest way to do this, and collect needed information is to just run
the following on your ec2 instance that is having problems:
   sudo apt-get update
   ubuntu-bug cron

Some other info, that would be useful:
- is there a 'cron' pid (ps -ax | grep cron) ?