[ec2] kernel problem on EU instance

ehammond at thinksome.com ehammond at thinksome.com
Tue May 26 20:53:43 BST 2009

Baldur:

My current impression is that vmbuilder is not quite ready for the
public to build EC2 images but that the team is busy getting it into a
good state.  What version/branch of vmbuilder are you using?

If aki-a17493c8 exists, I don't have access to it.  You may have an old
(or new?) copy of vmbuilder.

The theoretically optimal kernel/ramdisk would be the ones used by the
Ubuntu AMI you want to emulate.

For the current US Ubuntu 8.05 Hardy built by Canonical, this would be
the aki- and ari- ids listed here:

$ ec2-describe-images ami-5d59be34
IMAGE	ami-5d59be34
canonical-cloud-us/ubuntu-hardy-20090422-i386.manifest.xml
099720109477	available	public		i386	machine	aki-6e709707	ari-6c709705

You could use a similar command to get the EU images.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com