[ec2] error when moving Home folder to persistent EBS

Pedro Sanchez Pernia pedrosanchezpernia at gmail.com
Wed May 13 09:22:14 BST 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to move some folders from the instance to persistent storage, to
easily recover and backup.

I'm following some tips found in this
post<http://www.sunsetlakesoftware.com/2008/09/13/running-drupal-website-amazon-ec2>:
*"Anything placed in the /persistent directory will survive sudden
termination of the running instance, so you'll want to place log files,
databases, the files that define your site architecture, and anything else
you don't want to lose in that directory. The first step is to move users'
home directories. You can do this either by moving specific users'
directories or by moving the /home directory to /persistent, then using the
ln -s command to symbolically link the new location to its old place on the
file system."*

I'm using the last ubuntu official ec2 AMI (with"ubuntu" as user) and I try
to :
sudo mkdir /persistent/home
sudo mv /home/ubuntu /persistent/home/ubuntu
sudo ln -s /persistent/home/ubuntu /home/ubuntu

Issue #1 : sudo: cannot get working directory (after ln)
Issue #2 : because home/ubuntu and all the grant files has been moved, if I
loose the connection, I can no more SSH the server and I have to launch a
new instance ...

I'm just feeling it could be a security issue of the AMI config or simply my
poor experience in shell command...
Any help appreciated, thanks,

Pedro Sánchez Pernia
Madrid - Spain