[ec2-beta] Default locale?

Rick Clark rick.clark at canonical.com
Wed Mar 11 13:41:36 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 06:35:01 Denis Hennessy wrote:
> I notice the default locale of the beta2 image is en_CA:
>
> $ locale
> LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> I think it's better if the generic server image uses en_US instead
> which I did by changing /etc/default/locale to contain
> "LANG="en_US.UTF-8" and running:
>
> $ sudo localedef -c -i en_US -f UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8
>
> /dh

The Ubuntu server cd's use en_US if you just hit enter, so this seems like a
sane default to me.

Denis, Have you used launchpad.net before?  I encourage you to use launchpad
the  submit a bug to this project.  I can do it if you do not have time, but
it is a very helpful thong for people on the list to do.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-on-ec2

Cheers,

Rick Clark