[ec2-beta] feature request: user-data scripts

Keary Griffin keary.griffin at unwiredappeal.com
Tue Mar 10 23:15:43 GMT 2009

I know this is a little late in the game for this release, but maybe for
the future, one of things I really liked about the Eric's alestic Ubuntu
images was the ability for the image to launch a script supplied in the
ec2 user-data on first boot.

This allows people to launch the AMI's as-is without needing to
rebundle, and use the user-data supplied script to customize the image
on boot.

I've seen a bunch of talk on this list lately about the pros and cons of
rebundling/not rebundling the AMI's.   I usually rebundle my AMI's
(because without a feature like the above it's a necessity), but find it
time-consuming and would rather skip this step.  Being able to specify a
script to launch on first-boot would allow me to skip this step.

And if this functionality is already there and I missed it, I'll
apologize in advance.

Thanks
Keary