[ec2] disk partition configurations

Scott Frazer sfrazer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 00:00:53 BST 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Darren Govoni<darren at ontrenet.com> wrote:
> I think I'm going to have to put the data on an EBS on a separate server
> where other transient instances can hit a URL to do lookups.
>
> The problem with making a snapshot EBS for each and mounting (although
> it would work), involves manual steps and I need my server instances to
> startup and run without human intervention.
>
> Downloading from S3 is also feasible, but doing that on 80GB for each
> server at each reboot and dumping it onto the /mnt would be expensive
> and time consuming.

You could try using S3Sync.rb in an rc.local script to replicate a
local copy of your S3 original data. It might be a bit time consuming,
but it won't be expensive, as transfer between S3 and EC2 instances is
free.  Basically your only options are the persistence (and added
expense) of EBS or the transfer times of S3 :-)