[ec2] swap?

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Sun Jul 26 00:33:29 BST 2009

Darren:

The default for 64-bit instances on EC2 is to boot with no swap.  I
don't know why Amazon set it up differently than 32-bit instances.

You can see the storage layouts here:

  http://ec2storage.notlong.com

With Ubuntu you can easily add a swap file at run time, or use one of
the extra unused ephemeral storage partitions or even an EBS volume as swap.

In my own production servers I prefer to run with plenty of memory and
no swap.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com