[ec2] partition thinking

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Tue Jul 14 02:11:45 BST 2009

Micah:

Amazon EC2 only allows a max of 10GB on the root partition.  There's no
way to make it bigger and no reason to make it smaller.  (You can always
use symlinks or mount --bind to make it look like specific directories
are bigger, but they aren't really on the root partition and you can
never bundle more than 10GB in an image.)

As far as ephemeral storage goes, Linux m1.large instances always start
with /dev/sdb formatted and mounted as /mnt, and /dev/sdc available but
not formatted or mounted.  This is not specific to the Alestic.com images.

It is up to you to format and mount /dev/sdc if you need all the
ephemeral storage provided.  I suppose some images could format and
mount the extra ephemeral storage, but this would be on top of the EC2
policy.

The xlarge instances have four devices for ephemeral storage.  If you
want it as contiguous space, you can RAID them together.

Here's some EC2 documentation which describes the various storage
layouts in a confusing way:

  http://ec2storage.notlong.com

--
Eric Hammond