[ec2-beta] Automated bundling?

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Sat Jan 31 03:40:00 GMT 2009

Chris:

1. In order to bundle the instance and upload the image, the private key, certicifate, and secret key al need to be on the instance (unless you feel like downloading gigabytes to your local system)

You can delete or wipe them afterwards, but the private key and certificate need to be files on a file system (which I suppose could be in memory).

2.  Yes, you can --exclude directories that are mount points for EBS, s3fs, and the like.

No need to stop services, but keep in mind that if files are being modified by a service (think database) they might not be copied to the new AMI consistently, and if processes are creating and deleting files then the rsync phase might fail.  And, when the rsync fails, the bundling process does not give intuitive error messages.

--
Eric Hammond
http://www.anvilon.com