[ec2-beta] Automated bundling?

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Fri Jan 30 21:15:28 GMT 2009

...not that I would object to an Ubuntu package which included a command
to do the bundle and upload of a running instance :)   Some other public
AMIs provide this and I think it's a fine idea.

The main considerations that pop into my head include:

1. Figure out how the user provides all of the parameters and key files
by default.  If you require them to pass it all in, then it's not much
easier than running the two below commands.  There are a number of
software packages out there that have different standards for where and
how AWS access identifiers are specified.  If Ubuntu software
standardized on one of these it might be useful for future development.

2. Decide if the bundle/upload command should also register the AMI.
The "ec2-register" command is in the EC2 API command line tools which
require Java to be installed (not something I'd want on a base AMI given
the size).  However, if you're writing your own software you might as
well access the API directly to register the AMI.

3. Figure out what files and directories should be excluded from the
bundle by default.  This depends in part on whether the resulting AMI is
intended to be public or private.  For example, public AMIs should not
include .ssh/authorized_keys files but private AMIs might want to keep
these around.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com