[ec2-beta] Get security group from within instance?

Darren Govoni darren at ontrenet.com
Tue Jan 27 16:45:34 GMT 2009

Hi guys,
   Sorry for the bevy of questions as late. Hopefully, they are useful
to others lurking.

Anyway, I reviewed the amazon tools as best I could to see if I could
get the security group of the instance I am running in, but didn't find
exactly what I need.

Basically, I want to use the security group as a kind of dynamic
configuration key. Ergo, once an instance boots, it needs to identify
what security group it is in and then it will use that for other things.

Is there a way to get the security group of the instance from within
itself easily? i.e. without passing anything to the instance.

I am using the AWS console to launch instances and so cannot pass
anything to them.

Thanks for any tips.
Darren