[ec2-beta] Bundling image?

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Mon Jan 26 02:16:18 GMT 2009

Darren:

You cannot use the bundle functionality in the AWS console to bundle
Linux instances; that particular bundling method only works with Windows
instances.

To bundle a running Linux instance, you will want to use the EC2 AMI
command line tools (ec2-bundle-vol, ec2-upload-bundle) to create and
upload a new image.  Then you'll use the EC2 API tool (ec2-register) or
another interface to register the uploaded bundle as a new AMI.

The Amazon EC2 Getting Started Guide has a section on creating a new AMI
based on a running instance:

  http://ec2gsg-creating.notlong.com

The current official Ubuntu beta(1) AMI does not have the EC2 AMI tools
installed.  You can install a copy from the ubuntu-ec2 PPA:

  sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes ec2-ami-tools

--
Eric Hammond
http://www.anvilon.com