[ec2-beta] Tasksel and creating Ubuntu-EC2 specific tasks

Joel Natividad joel.natividad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:26:15 GMT 2009

Hi Team,I went on a bit about landscape integration in a previous post (
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/private/ec2-beta/2009-January/000144.html).

What got me started was the message about using landscape when "tasksel
--section server" finished.  I was tres intrigued and started digging.

Of course, now I realize that its just a "generic" message for the server
tasksel and it wasn't explicitly put in firstlogin.sh for the Ubuntu-EC2
image.

Still, Canonical might want to think about creating some Ubuntu-EC2 specific
tasks that's only installed on the EC2 AMIs.

If some EC2-smarts is incorporated into landscape, several tasks come to
mind:
 - EC2 LAMP with EBS (preloaded with LAMP, landscape client and EBS vol
taken from a pregenned EBS snapshot for apache logs and mysql data)
 - EC2 render node (preloaded with Blender, landscape client, etc.)
 - EC2 bio-grid node (preloaded with stuff like BLAST, bioperl, landscape
client, etc.)

I'm really convinced this is one way to light the fire for wider landscape
adoption and increased Ubuntu Enterprise penetration in general.

Just my 2 cents,
Joel

joel at natividads.com * wireless at natividads.com
Think Different! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_different#Text)