[ec2-beta] Equivilant VM appliances?

Darren Govoni darren at ontrenet.com
Thu Jan 15 14:26:51 GMT 2009

Yeah, it dawned on me that was best, so now that I have my install
script working like a charm (I just upload it after initial boot), its
easy for me to stand-up and tear-down instances.

In fact, to get my install script working, I would stand-up successive
instances as I debugged the script, tearing down the previous one and
got it working in a fraction of the time the old way. Couldn't even
think how this would be done quickly with virtualization....eck!

btw, my technique for config/install of a new instance is to install
subversion, pull down the other install scripts and run those. keeps the
user-data script (soon to be working from launch I trust) small.

any tweaks I make to the real scripts, I commit back to subversion and
repeat. In case anyone is looking to do this.