[ec2-beta] some feedback on the i386 image

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Wed Jan 14 16:23:31 GMT 2009

Soren Hansen wrote:
> We could easily provide a slicker experience if you're using Ubuntu on
> your workstation without interfering with the experience
> you'd otherwise get. Obviously, if there's a solution that fixes a
> problem for everyone, that's to be  preferred, but I don't
> think we should reject ideas that might only if you're using Ubuntu
> on your workstation.

Well said and point taken.

My focus right now is on helping define what the default experience is
for EC2 instances that are created through existing, popular means.  I
believe this is going to be the largest usage pattern for a while and I
want it to be a safe, clean experience to increase adoption.

Requiring non-root access will cause some to stumble, but that is an
experience all of us had to deal with as we moved to Ubuntu on any system.

If the instance is being started from an Ubuntu workstation using Ubuntu
developed commands, then absolutely anything is possible and no ideas
should be discounted because they don't work in other environments.

As we discuss, let's be clear about which we're talking about (vanilla
or Ubuntu software initiated).

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com