[ec2-beta] some feedback on the i386 image

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Tue Jan 13 00:04:30 GMT 2009

Kees Cook wrote:
> OSX ships with openssh, and people doing EC2 Ubuntu with Windows could
> probably be expected to have ssh?

Yes, I believe Putty is popular on Windows.

My point was that if software is being developed to set the initial
password of the default user on a new EC2 instance, we need to support
people who are running and connecting from a variety of platforms
including starting the instance using Amazon's EC2 console and
connecting using Putty.

The natural result is that the software must be running on the instance
which means that it must be effectively contained in the public AMI
which means that capabilities and options are limited.

Reminder for folks trying to follow the conversation: The problem we're
trying to solve is how/whether to set the initial password for the
"ubuntu" user for sudo ability.  (ssh ability is not an issue as it uses
the EC2 ssh keypair chosen by the user at runtime.)

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com